Katie





 

I'm, Katie, I'm 24 I have two dogs and I'm studying animal science, I enjoy spending time with my dogs, reading, dancing. I love at home with my mam and dad and have 1 brother. My hopes for the future are to hopefully travel and work abroad.

21/10/2022
I prepared for abroad by ensuring I had the all the information needed by attending the meetings and ensured I had all the appropriate documents signed. I also downloaded Duolingo to learn a bit of Spanish before travelling to be able to enjoy the experience a bit more and to be able to communicate with the staff during the mobility. I also made sure that I had transport sorted in advance so that if anything happened that I would be able to find an alternative if needed.

22/10/2022







we arrived at our accommodation on the 21st, it is student accommodation so we have our own room and bathroom we also have our own desk for doing our work and a fridge to put our food and water. There is a communal kitchen where you have a locker to store your cutlery and your bowl and plate. I really enjoyed the walking tour as it made me look at Malaga through a different mindset, knowing the history behind it. She also gave us the name of a good ice-cream place to try.

23/10/2022





I really enjoyed the boat trip as it was a nice way to just relax and take everything in and just enjoy looking at the scenery. we also went to the beach after and just relaxed after the boat trip.

26/10/22







I started work experience on Monday in mascotines Malagueta which is a groomers a pet shop and a vets, there was three dogs that were groomed on Monday, a chihuahua, a schnauzer, and a Yorkshire terrier. it was nice to just get hands on and actually get the experience. we were also shown the vets room. We just observed the chihuahua being groomed as there wasn't much we could do to help as it was such a small dog. we washed the schnauzer and dried him and the groomer styled it. I started washing the terrier and she helped to finish as it couldn't see very well and went to bite when anything went near its face. On Tuesday there was another three dogs which were a bichon a poodle and a retriever. There was no dogs to be groomed today so we just helped to clean the salon and organise some things in the shop. My role is to help with grooming the dogs. 
The positives is getting to experience how they groom dogs in Spain and also getting to work with dogs all day. The difficulties are the language and trying to communicate and trying to get some dogs to cooperate. 

On Tuesday we also had a walk up to around the castle which was nice to see how big Malaga actually is and to see another part of the history around Malaga. 

29/10/22

Today we had the tour of Granada which was interesting to find out more about the Spanish culture and the history of Spain, it was also nice to get a chance to look around at the markets and see what they had to offer 





1/11/22
It took me a few days to get used to the culture as it is very different to Ireland. I also tried tapas for the first time today which were very nice. I also went to Marbella for the day. It also took me a few days to adjust to the workplace but I am more comfortable and learning how they do things. I have picked up a few Spanish words from the work placement. 





5/11/22

Today we went to Frigiliana and Nerjo, we were given free time to have a look around. The beach in Nerjo was very peaceful. 






6/11/22

In my free time my try take in as much as the culture as I can. I also make time to get some assignments done and to just relax and enjoy the weather while reading. Some of the stand out moments were the trip to Gibralfaro and just seeing how big Malaga actually is. another thing that stood out for me was how relaxed the people are. The flamenco show also stood out as it was not what I expected, but it was very enjoyable. The cultural events were quite interesting as they gave a lot of  insight of the culture and the history behind the different buildings and the different streets. 

8/11/22

Erasmus has taught me that everything is not always going to be easy but you have to keep trying anyway. It has given me the ability to push myself outside of my comfort zone and it made me realise that am capable of doing something if I just put myself out there and not keep holding myself back. My confidence has improved from it. The positives from the trip were getting to experience the Spanish culture and also getting the experience of working abroad and being able to compare it to Ireland. 
 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clarice O'Hagan - Erasmus Malaga Spain

Izabella's Malaga Blog

Isobel In Malaga Part 2