Clarice O'Hagan - Erasmus Malaga Spain

 Bienvenida a mi blog






Hola! Welcome to my blog! I'm Clarice and I am from Bray, Co Wicklow! I will be participating in the Erasmus program in Malaga Spain. I live with my mum and I have two beautiful dogs a Labrador named Suzie and a Chihuahua /Tibetan spaniel named Holly. They are my world. My hobbies include Music, animals, fashion, photography, travelling and spending time with family and friends. I have my own business called 'Clarice's dog walking and sitting'. I take care of dogs at my home and walk dogs around the Bray area and I have been doing this for the past 4 years and I love it, I've always loved dogs, they are my purpose in life. I have taken care of many breeds from young puppies to elderly dogs with health conditions and that require different needs. I also go to peoples homes and take care of their pets including cats and dogs. I would like to expand my business some day maybe with grooming and building a cabin for taking care of dogs and to start driving so I can travel more and take on more work.

I am currently studying animal science at bife and was very interested in participating in the Erasmus program. When I got accepted I was absolutely thrilled. I was so grateful to Richard, Sarah, Gabriel, Hilda, Louise and all of the people that made this possible a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have always wanted to work and travel abroad so this was perfect for me. They organised everything from the flights to accomodation to the trips and work placement. The trip happened so fast and such a fast process. We were given an allowance for taking part which was amazing for shopping and food/drinks. When I found out I got accepted I immediately started preparing. Getting my luggage ready, shopping for the trip and doing the paper work the co ordinators gave us. 3 of the people from my class got accepted and it was great to go together, meeting people from other courses from BIFE and around Ireland and the world.


Travel

We arrived in Malaga 21 October 22 until 11 November 2022. with our Animal science tutor Hilda. On arrival we met Miguel and Ricard that work for European era. We also met Sara and Ana. We had an induction to the place and were given leaflets and a welcome pack to Malaga including a map, contact numbers and a pen. Our accomodation is called Resa Malaga Centro. It's a great student accomodation with a gym, a kitchen, your own bedroom and bathroom, situated beside all the tourist attractions for dining and touring The city. There is also beaches nearby. The city is beautiful with historic buildings. The people are very friendly and welcoming and the weather is beautiful. It is great for a holiday and especially great to work here and meet new people.

Trips and experiences

The trips that were arranged were amazing. Spain is a beautiful country with so much to see and do. We visited Granada and Frigliana and Nerja, we had a guided tour around Malaga to see the main attractions- I visited Picasso museum, Carmen Thyssen museum, Castillo de Gibralfaro and the cathedral and I really enjoyed the shopping and markets along the marina and the beach for sunbathing. The flamenco show was really a good taste of culture. Our tutors came along to some of the trips and really enjoyed them. I also visited Marbella with people I met in Malaga from Ireland. I went to Hamamm in Malaga it's a turkish styled spa treatment with relaxing baths, steam rooms and massages. A cycling bike trip was organised also. We were also brought on a boat trip around the Marina. I got some great bargains on hand bags, purses JLo purse and I got Victoria's secrets sprays/lotions! I bought some souvenirs for my mum, aunts, cousins and friends. I bought my dogs treats, collars and dog food pouches! They are spoiled!


































Work placement 

My work placement is in Patitas Groomers and pet shop.

It is about 25 mins walk from the accommodation and is convenient to get to.

https://patitasmalaga.es/

Silvia is the owner and groomer she is amazing to work with she is so kind and works alongside her colleague Alberto, they were both lovely and accommodating. Alberto speaks English so translated some things for Silvia and for us. it's a lovely environment to work in. Alberto works in the shop area, selling food and pet treats/accessories/beds/collars/harnesses for dogs cats, guinea pigs etc. Silvia brings in her dogs to work they are lovely and obedient. I find them a great comfort as I am away from my own dogs. I worked in Patita's from Mondays-Fridays and completed 60 hours altogether working mornings to afternoons and some evenings. I have learned so much working there, grooming all breeds of dogs from small to large. Including German shepherds to terriers. In my work placement I work alongside Ali from my course- Animal science, I washed and dried dogs, cleaned their ears, de tangled hair, brushed hair, cut their nails and make sure their welfare is taken care of, that they are calm and secure in the grooming room behind the shop as some dogs being nervous could try and escape.Some dogs require different shampoos depending on coat condition and skin conditions. I groomed dogs that had arthritis and one with a tumour. I know about grooming and have experience as I have done it in level 5 animal care and am still doing grooming in level 6 animal science. Some dogs can be nervous and I cuddle them to make them feel calm and at ease. Eventually they enjoy the experience some dogs do not like being away from their owners and they dont like their hair getting dried by the blaster. Some of the equipment is called different names than in Ireland. I mopped the floor, cleaned up hair, cleaned the grooming table, washed the bath, put equipment away and made sure the room was clean and health and safety was met. As accident's can occur. The time goes fast in Patitas as it is always busy with grooming dogs. Everything went well and everyone worked well together.











































I adjusted to Spain very well, this is my first time being away from home for so long and working and travelling abroad. I have visited many places Including America, Spain, Portugal, Prague, Lanzarote, England and Poland. The first week felt very long being away from home and the second week went faster as I was so busy working and visiting places. I missed my mum and my dogs so much. But was very glad I had this experience as its once in a lifetime and I am so grateful and proud of myself.I learned some Spanish language and lots of people speak English so its a great plus. Malaga is cheaper than Ireland for food and drink dining out and day trips/taxis etc. I tried foods I wouldnt normally eat and it was fun to experience the culture. It was Halloween while we were here and it was a unique experience to be in Spain for Halloween we went to a night club and pub and dressed up.
It was great getting to know our group- Dayna, Emma, Ethan, Ben, Isobel, Katie, Izzy and Ali. We went for dinner /drinks some evenings and some participated in the day trips and tours. I hope everyone had a wonderful experience and will treasure these moments forever. 
I grew as a person its broadened my horizons and I would love to continue travelling and experiencing life abroad. It also makes you realize how amazing home is even if the weather is awful! HA! Makes you appreciate all you have at home and how people are different and have different views and come from all walks of life! Thanks so everyone for making this possible! I will always remember this experience.
I would definitely recommend Erasmus+ its an incredible life changing experience of working and living abroad. You meet lots of new people experience new cultures and gain so much confidence. I would recommend once accepted get packing and planning your trip and looking up places you'd like to see and do as there is so many places to visit here.

Adios gracias
Clarice xxx
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isobel In Malaga Part 2

Izabella's Malaga Blog